My Purse is a Disgrace
A few weeks ago, I bought a new straw bag from J. Crew for summer. On the outside, it is very beach/ farmer's market/picnic chic. On the inside, the bag is basically a portable garbage can.
I have a very bad case of disorganized, dirty Mom purse and I don't quite understand how this has happened to me. It is an embarrassment. Every Mom I know carries around an absurd amount of kid-related supplies (some necessary, some not so necessary). But my purse has gotten out of of control. It is a goldfish cracker wasteland. I decided to clean it out today and I thought I would share some of the (totally disgusting) contents.
So here I go, baring my disorganized soul. This is the garbage I lug around with me on a daily basis.
- My wallet (never enough cash, but about five pounds in change because I never clean it out)
- Two spare diapers, travel wipes, and a plastic bag in case we have a really bad diaper situation
- Three water bottles (one for me and each of my little ones)
- Tissues for runny noses, sticky fingers, etc.
- Four half-empty bottles of Purell
- Cell phone
- A piece of string cheese that has possibly been in there for five days or more
- An assortment of matchbox cars, trains, and trucks (about six in all)
- A band aid
- Lip gloss with cracker crumbs stuck to the top
- Sunglasses to disguise the fact that I don't have any concealer on
- A variety of snack options for the kiddos (this is where the goldfish problem comes in)
- Altoids as a snack for me
- My son's baseball hat
- A mini-pack of colored pencils to entertain the kids when we go to restaurants
- Several unnecessary receipts
- SPF 50
- Two lollipops zipped away in a pocket in case of extreme emergency
I think that's it -- hardly an adult item in the bunch. When I am with my kids, my purse is simply a utilitarian part of our daily life (plus I fit right in with all of the other moms at the park hauling massive totes). But when I am go some place without my kids (for example, getting my haircut today), I just feel like an unsophisticated loser with a big, messy purse.
Original post of Chicago Moms Blog.